WHAT IS MENSTRUAL PAIN?
Menstruation is the cycle of shedding the uterine lining. This results in normal vaginal bleeding every month in women.
Menstrual pain is throbbing or aching pain in the lower abdomen that ranges from mild to severe. There are a few methods to reduce mild to moderate menstrual pain.
Pain may occur a few days before the beginning of a menstrual cycle and end 1 to 2 days after completion of a cycle.
Menstrual pain is also called dysmenorrhea, period pain, or menstrual cramps.
Menstrual pain CAUSES :
Menstrual pain is of two types, primary and secondary.
Primary dysmenorrhea is common. Prostaglandins, a hormone induces contractions to expel the endometrial lining. These contractions may press the blood vessels near the uterus.
Thus blood supply to the uterus gets seized and causes pain and inflammation.
Secondary dysmenorrhea is due to conditions of the uterus or reproductive system(Ex-fibroids). It usually occurs in later stages of life.
Menstrual pain which may occur due to these MEDICAL CONDITIONS:
How to cure stomach pain in periods depends upon the intensity and cause of pain
PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME(PMS) :
It is due to changes in hormone levels before 1 to 2 weeks of periods. In PMS along with menstrual pain symptoms like weight gain, and mood changes are present.
Condition in which uterine tissue outgrows ( Ex-into fallopian tubes ). Menstrual pain increases as growth progresses.
UTERINE FIBROIDS :
The noncancerous tissue growths inside the uterus are fibroids that show no symptoms. If they become heavy, fibroids press over other pelvic organs and cause pelvic pain. These may also cause heavy bleeding.
PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE (PID) :
It is due to sexually transmitted diseases or infections. STDs cause inflammation of the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
It is a rare condition in which the uterus lining extends into the muscle layer of the uterus. It causes inflammation, high pressure, and period pain.
CERVICAL STENOSIS :
It is also rare, due to a morphological defect of the cervix in which it has a narrow opening. So, the menstrual flow gets obstructed and increases content pressure. Increased pressure inside the uterus causes pain.
RISK FACTORS of menstrual pain :
- Early stages of starting menstruation.
- Have a family history of heavier pain during periods.
- Irregular menstrual cycles or heavy bleeding.
- Smoking and drinking habits.
HOW TO REDUCE PERIOD PAIN AT HOME :
- Place a heating pad or warm bottle on the lower belly.
- Massage the stomach in a circular motion.
- Taking a warm bath helps to relieve leg and back pain during periods.
- Regular physical activity is essential. People who exercise weekly have less period pain than those who don’t exercise.
- Intake of light and nutrition-rich foods
- Meditation, and yoga help to reduce period pain perception.
- Take vitamins(b-complex) and supplements.
- Decrease intake of caffeine, sugar, and alcohol.
- Herbal teas help in soothing moderate pain. Teas like ginger tea, chamomile tea, cinnamon tea, and green tea are useful.
- Period pain tablets like anti-inflammatory drugs Ex- ibuprofen, are used to relieve mild pain.
MEDICAL TREATMENT :
- Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin, and ibuprofen. Get these drugs in prescription doses from a healthcare provider.
- Cyclopam tablet is a combination tablet that reduces pain and cramps during periods. Cyclopam tablet for menstrual pain stops muscle spasms, chemical releases that cause pain.
- For severe pain, pain relievers like acetaminophen and naproxen are quite useful.
- The doctor may prescribe antidepressants to stabilize mood swings and change pain perception.
- Women who are on hormonal birth control have less menstrual pain.
- Period pain caused due to disease states treated by surgery. Example surgery for endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
- If the menstrual pain is not relieved by any of the above methods then rarely is a hysterectomy done. Hysterectomy is a surgical procedure of uterus removal. But should consider patients planning for children as pregnancy is impossible after hysterectomy.
NOTE: The patient should not administer high dose otc menstrual pain relief tablets. As in high doses, they are not safe in disease states like asthma, and liver dysfunction.
IS YOUR MENSTRUAL PAIN NORMAL:
If your menstrual pain is severe and persists for three or more days consult a doctor. The doctor may examine the vagina, cervix, and uterus (pelvic examination).
If any lumps are been observed, should send a sample for vaginal fluid testing.
And any underlying abnormality is diagnosed using laparoscopy and radiography techniques.
If you are a tampon user and have period pain along with fever, rash, and fatigue, then consult a doctor. As they might be symptoms of TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME (TSS)https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/toxic-shock-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20355384
1 thought on “how to reduce menstrual pain instantly”
Nice and simple information…